Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Don't let the tears of a Maine loss blind us from seeing our victories or the entire struggle

I won't do it. I refuse to do it.

No matter how sad folks are over the loss in Maine, I will not give in to the malaise of anger and bitterness.

I understand the anger and bitterness over Maine, the need to spell out portents of doom and to seek inner meanings into the defeat.

But it was a defeat amongst a crop of victories.

In Kalamazoo, Michigan, voters rejected the phony notion that giving lgbts non-discrimination rights would somehow lead to a legion of predators invading women's restrooms.

What is that? Two victories in the face of an ugly lie (I say two victories because earlier this year, Gainesville, FL rejected the lie also.)

We are still leading in Washington state as far as I know.

And along with the openly lgbt mayor in Chapel Hill, NC comes this news from Houston, TX:

Houston City Controller Annise Parker was the top vote-getter Tuesday in the race for mayor, garnering more than 30% of the vote in a crowded field of candidates. Parker will now face former city attorney Gene Locke, who finished second, in a runoff election in mid-December.

Furthermore, lgbts were elected on city councils in Detroit, MI; Atlanta, GA; Akron, OH; and St. Petersburg, FL.

And last but not least, the House of  Representatives will start debate on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act today.

While we cry over Maine, let's not forget our other victories or battles. The fight for lgbt equality is an eternal struggle on many fronts. The opposition knows that.

We should too.

So let's cry as much as we need to over Maine, fix our faces, and come out swinging.




Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Dave in Northridge said...

Yes, half a loaf is certainly better than none. On the other hand, isn't now a really terrific time to start holding the Obama adminstration's feet to the fire on the GLBT issues they can move by themselves.

You of all people should understand that no minority group should ever subject its civil rights to a popular vote, because the cases in which we win are far outnumbered by those that we don't.

No, I'm not an optimist. I'm 60, and I'd like to see this issue resolved before I die.

BlackTsunami said...

I of all people should know what? Is it because I am gay or because I am black.

From being a member of both communities, I of all people DO know that the struggle for equality is never finished and will contain as many setbacks as successes. And that is the point I am trying to make.

Danielle said...

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2009/11/04/the-other-gay-rights-vote-why-referendum-71-in-washington-matters.aspx

Ref 71 won in WA!! :D