Monday, February 21, 2011

Carl Bean - I Was Born This Way

I am very appreciative of Lady Gaga's advocacy for the lgbt community. But let's not forget that while her song "I Was Born This Way" will be a massive hit, it wasn't the first song to celebrate self-love, particularly in the lgbt community.

The following is a 1977 song from former Motown recording artist and founding prelate of the Unity Fellowship Church Movement Carl Bean:




The following is Bean in an interview talking about his autobiographical book of the same name:




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Liz said...

The book is wonderful. Bishop Bean is honest and naked in this book. I am a huge fan of his. Does anybody besides me think that Lady Gaga stole his song?

Unknown said...

Not at all. As someone who grew up loving this song, I totally believe that Lady Gaga borrowed the concept from Carl Bean.