Monday, May 09, 2011

My possible FINAL word on the gay vs. black conflict

As you all know being an lgbt of color, this constant conflict between black community and the lgbt community over civil rights and such exhausts me every time it comes up. I hate it. At times, I get angry at the black community for it's willful ignorance on the matter and other times, I get angry at the lgbt community for the ignorant assumptions it makes on the matter.

And in the long run, I can't seem to communicate to either community just what exactly is going on, i.e. that they are both being exploited by a third party (the religious right). So now I will issue my "possible final word" on the matter. I say "possible" because you never know. I may have something new to say in the future.

My "possible final word" doesn't come from me, but the legendary teller of fables, Aesop:

An Eagle had made her nest at the top of a lofty oak. A Fox, having found a convenient hole, lived with her young in the middle of the trunk; and a Wild Sow with her young had taken shelter in a hollow at its foot. The Fox resolved to destroy by her arts this chance-made colony. She climbed to the nest of the Eagle, and said: "Destruction is preparing for you, and for me too. The Wild Sow, whom you may see daily digging up the earth, wishes to uproot the oak, that she may, on its fall, seize our families as food." Then she crept down to the cave of the Sow and said: "Your children are in great danger; for as soon as you shall go out with your litter to find food, the Eagle is prepared to pounce upon one of your little pigs." When night came, she went forth with silent foot and obtained food for herself and her young; but, feigning to be afraid, she kept a look-out all through the day. Meanwhile, the Eagle, full of fear of the Sow, sat still on the branches, and the Sow, terrified by the Eagle, did not dare to go out from her cave; and thus they each, with their families, perished from hunger.

Moral - Gay folks and black folks can argue all day as to who gets to be the  "sow" and who gets to be the "eagle." But both groups better damn well recognize who the hell the fox is.




Bookmark and Share

No comments: