Friday, June 17, 2011

Alvin McEwen unloads on the Black church at Netroots Nation

 Know Your LGBT History will not be posted this week due to a special interview conducted with me.

Rod McCollum, the webmaster of the 2011 GLAAD nominated blog Rod2.0 Beta interviewed me about how I felt about my first trip to Netroots Nation, as well as the situation with the black church. This is the opening summary:

Alvin McEwen is the blogger behind Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters. The Columbia, South Carolina-based activist has become a thorn in the side of the National Organization for Marriage, using his blog to expose the "junk science" and "discredited theories" behind their anti-gay activism.

 "I'm also concerned about the right-wing's inroads into Black churches and [hope] we can address this at Netroots Nation," he tells R20. "I'm hoping the Netroots Nation can give African-American gays and lesbians the tools to fight this. I'm also hoping to find [social media] tools to encourage African-American gays and lesbians to leave oppressive [church] environments." This is Alvin McEwen's first Netroots Nation. Alvin is one of about 40 bloggers and activists recruited on a scholarship program developed by the fabulous Mike Rogers and Netroots Nation.

Now to hear the entire interview, you will have to go to the site Rod 2.0 Beta. And trust me when I say you will want to hear this entire interview because I don't hold a damn thing back.

Sample comment - "The black church is one of the greatest institutions in the world but it is also one of the most hypocritical, lying institutions in the world."



Bookmark and Share

No comments: