Wednesday, June 06, 2012

'Opposition Research' or 'Truth Telling?'

My talk today at Netroots Nation went over pretty well.

I was supposed to be talking about how I track religious right distortions, as it was phrased "opposition research."

However, I made a point to say several times that it's not necessarily "opposition research" but "truth telling."

It's really nothing more than what journalists and pundits should be doing when writing about or interviewing folks like Tony Perkins and Maggie Gallagher, i.e. digging deep and questioning their responses rather than allowing them to go on a monologue of talking points.

Even though I would have really loved to have gone into detail about the six deceptions of the religious right, it was still a step forward to be able to finally throw out the idea that gay activists should educate themselves more on the religious right.

The entire day in general went quick and very well. I was especially pleased to give some positive shout outs to my lgbtq brothers and sisters in South Carolina during the second panel discussion I took part in, i.e. turning purple and red states into blue states on the subject of lgbtq equality.

Between you and me though, the red state/blue state dichotomy is dumb as hell and for the life of me, I don't know who ever thought it up.

The general gist of panelists there is that the national gay rights organizations are too quick to write off states like Florida, Indiana and my state of South Carolina because they figure we are lost causes.

But meanwhile, the gay communities in these states are thriving and getting things done. I was especially glad to brag on the various gay organizations in South Carolina.

So all in all, I have thus far accomplished the goals I set out this year. Can't wait until tomorrow.



Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

PJB863 said...

Alvin, the the red state/blue state dichotomy that you speak of is nothing more than an lgbt ghetto mentality - "I live in an enlightened quarter, but those who live 'west of jones st.' do not." It's a type of us vs. them paradigm that seems to be somewhat unique to the lgbt community.

The reality is that those of us who don't live in areas considered to be lgbt friendly, are the ones who are making the inroads and changing minds.

Kaoru Negisa said...

The thing is, it's not easy to avoid writing off certain areas as lost causes. And this is speaking as a queer Floridian. But look at North Carolina and see how, despite a lot of organizing and out LGBT people, it was still largely a blowout. How do you fight that, especially when there are places where victory is more likely?

Daniel Wachenheim said...

I agree, you are "Truth Telling". Keep up the great work!