Wednesday, December 05, 2012

WE are to blame for hate group leader's success

You remember this commercial that MSNBC would not run:



According to Equality Matters, it got worse in terms of Perkins' invitation on news programs:

During their coverage of the 2012 GOP primary, cable news networks regularly called upon Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council (FRC), to provide commentary on behalf of social conservatives. Perkins made 56 appearances on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC over the course of the primary, but never once was identified as the leader of an anti-gay hate group.

Analysis: Cable News Networks Regularly Hosted Perkins To Discuss GOP Primary

Tony Perkins Made 56 Television Appearances Over The Course Of The GOP Primary. According to an Equality Matters analysis, during the period between the first Republican presidential debate on May 5, 2011 and the Republican nomination in August, Tony Perkins appeared on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC a total of 56 times to discuss the GOP primary:


The Equality Matters report is an indictment of a lazy, overpaid media.

In spite of all he and FRC has said and done to demean the gay community, Perkins is seen as an expert/analyst on news programs. And no one seems to be interested in debating him about the rhetoric put forth by his organization to demean our community.

But I can't help but thinking that it's our fault.  We aren't pressing hard enough. We have several magazines, prominent journalists, and even television network, but none of those entities has even done one expose on not just the hate pushed by FRC and other religious right groups but the shoddy way they create their homophobic memes.

In the past, we didn't have the means, so we had to work with what we had, i.e. street politics created by a community united by word of mouth.

Now, we have the means to take these groups on and we just won't do it.

Let me rephrase that. Those who have some power in our community won't do it.

Those of us considered nonexistent, i.e. bloggers like myself, do it every day.

And with that, allow me to segue into announcing an upcoming project sure to place the much deserved onus on organizations like FRC.

I am in the process of creating an free online booklet/brochure which offers an old interpretation on the lies of the religious right, but with a new spin designed to create controversy and a bit of righteous indignation, which I hope will be used - not in a negative fashion - put positively to ask questions and demand answers from not only Perkins and the FRC but also from the media who is supposed to represent us.

Provisionally, it is titled How They See Us: Unmasking the Religious Right War on Gay America.

It will be short but to the point.

And when you see it, you will remember it.

I will keep you all posted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sell it on Amazon as a Kindle Book. I paid like $3 for that Religious Writer Mark Oppenheimer's Long Article. It wasn't real a book more of a long article about Dan Savage. I don't know how manypeople bought it but I did. I always buy books written by people who are out there working for Equal Civil Rights for Sexual Minorities.

Dan Savage would know how to get you in touch wiyj Mark Oppenheimer so you could find out from Mark how he did it. Just an idea for you Alvin.

And you know you do not have to have a Kindle Machine to read Kindle Books. Amazon has a free app you download on your iPad or computer and you read Kindle Books on the app just great. It downloads automatically after you purchase and have the app installed.

Best of luck on your project Alvin, I am one of your biggest fans,
~StraightGrandmother

BlackTsunami said...

Thanks for your support, Straight Grandmother. And your suggestions. But I am insistent that this booklet/brochure be given away free. ;p

Anonymous said...

Amazon has lots of books for free so you can still use Straight Grandmother's idea.

Anonymous said...

You might Connect with Barry Deutsch a well know cartoonist. I don't know the concept of your booklet will be but maybe this would be a fit for you. He is a professional Cartoonist, this is his sole income and craft. Do you read his Blog Alvin? I like him. I can't 100% figure him out though, but that is okay.
http://www.amptoons.com/blog/
He is also on Twitter I follow him you can check who I follow to find him on Twitter. I am just trying to be helpful Alvin.
~StraightGrandmother

BlackTsunami said...

I know you are. I apologize if I came across as curt or rude earlier. I am VERY appreciative of folks who support me and I am thankful when folks think enough about my efforts to give me ideas. ;p

Anonymous said...

You didn't come off that way at all. Not at all. I was kind of apologizing if I was getting to involved.
~StraightGrandmother

BlackTsunami said...

You weren't. I'm always happy to hear suggestions. ;p